Thursday, June 21, 2012

{the perfect} parfait

{yogurt} ricotta parfait
For my lovely mother's birthday last month I decided to try out Giada's Ricotta Parfait Recipe for breakfast before a morning of garage sailing.  It was a big hit, and since then I've tried all sorts of variations on her recipe.  Here's a look at one that I love.....

{layers} of delicious {fresh} berries {eat me}
 Yogurt Ricotta Parfaits (by Giada De Laurentiis)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup raspberry jam, divided
  • 2 cups granola, divided
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted*

Directions:

In a small bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese and yogurt together until smooth. In each parfait glass, layer 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture, 1 tablespoon raspberry jam and 1/4 cup of granola. Repeat the layers. Spread the remaining ricotta mixture on top and garnish with toasted almonds before serving.

*Cook's Note: To toast the sliced almonds, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 6 to 8 minutes until lightly golden. Cool completely before using.

My Notes:

I've noticed that the ricotta texture is more or less course depending on the brand you use.  Precious Part Skim Ricotta was more course, and Frigo Part Skim Ricotta was less course.  Also, I've only tried this recipe with vanilla or strawberry & honey flavored yogurts, not plain.  The Lucerne Vanilla is inexpensive and good, but right now my favorite is the Greek Gods Yogurt!  Every flavor I've had of theirs I've loved.  Another alternative is right now I prefer fresh berries to the raspberry jam.....however, the raspberry jam is excellent in it!  I also highly recommend adding lots of toasted almond slices.  The nuttiness brings all the flavors together.

I am in the process of learning to make the perfect homemade granola, and still haven't mastered it yet.  Will share that recipe once I have.  I hope you enjoy this lovely summer breakfast as much as I do!  <3 Carrie

4 comments:

  1. This looks so good and fresh! The ricotta cheese is an interesting choice but I dig it. I sometimes make twice baked potatoes with yogurt instead of milk and it gives it an interesting taste. I'm sure the ricotta does the same thing as the yogurt - add an interesting kick

    ReplyDelete
  2. So full from lunch...but now I'm wanting to top it off with a parfait! Looks super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pics & that 'eat me' flag is so cute! Makes me want to scream: yeeeees, I'll eat ya!! Nom nom nom... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious! My mom makes homemade granola. it would be perfect in this parfait!

    ReplyDelete