Summertime means fresh fruit, so the other day I was thinking. What can I make for dessert that doubles as breakfast?
FRESH PEACH CRISP
Serves Around 6
- 6 peaches (peeled and cut)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the fresh peaches and white sugar; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Pour peach mixture into a 1 1/2 quart Pyrex baking dish. Sprinkle crumble mixture over the peaches.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown.
To Make This Gluten Free: I replaced the all purpose flour with the same amount of Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Flour, and the rolled oats with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats. It was so good. Ryan even ate it two days in a row ; )
How To - Peel Fresh Peaches: I'd never peeled a fresh peach before, so I had to look this up. This way is quick and easy.
- Place peaches in a large pot of boiling water for about a minute or until the skin splits.
- Remove the peaches from water with a slotted spoon.
- Use a paring knife to peel the skin, which should easily peel off.
Notes: I used smaller peaches so I ended up having a little extra crumble mixture. It is saved in the refrigerator and will make about 2 individual size crisps which I'll bake this week....maybe cherry! Also this recipe is VERY rich, so we ate smaller portions than normal.